Monday, July 18, 2011

NEW Product Show Offs ... Crafty Secrets Design Team Challenge!

Hello all and welcome to this month's edition of the Crafty Secrets Design Team Challenge!  Sandy asked the teamies to use the {new} release goodies to create a project to 'show off' how yummy and wonderful these items are ... you're going to {adore} what the girlies have cooked up for your inspiration today!

I decided to create one of my favorite things ... a BANNER!  I adore making banners for all occasions, all seasons, all holidays!  They are so much fun to make and look so pretty hanging around the house decorating little nooks and crannies, walls, windows, fireplaces and such!

So, let's get started!  I'm going to give you a few tips and tricks on how to create your very own shabby banner using some of the brand new goodies available from Crafty Secrets!!


CD - Creating with Vintage Patterns

Mini Vintage Creative Scraps

Tattered Angels Chipboard Frames

Stamp Sets
SL 41 Born To Fly
SL42 Let's Hang Out





To begin, I loaded the Creating With Vintage Patterns CD into my computer and chose a couple lovely papers to decorate my banner with.  Easy peesey, pick, print, snip and glue!  The nice thing about digital papers is that they take up 'no room' to store, you can print just the size and amount you need = less waste, you can print only the papers you want and don't have to purchase a whole paper pack for just a few sheets that you like, the CD is a one-time purchase with an unlimited amount of uses!   I traced the banner shape onto my patterned papers, cut out and then adhered to the chipboard banner pieces using spray adhesive.  I painted the scalloped chipboard backing piece to the banner with vintage cream paint and lightly sanded the edges of the paint and paper to create a time-worn look.


Tip:  if you have a double piece banner like the one I used here from Maya Road, do NOT adhere the scallop back to the patterned paper front until you are finished designing ... this will allow you to do some machine sewing if you want!  If you adhere the two pieces together before you want to sew, the piece will be too think to fit through your sewing machine. I machine sewed on all four banner pieces after I was happy with the placement of all embellies.


The next step is the fun part ... rumage through your treasure baskets to find loads of bits and bobs of flowers, chipboard alphas, buttons, twine/baker's twine, trinket pins, vintage lace trims, paper doilies and such!


By definition, Shabby Design Style = Layers of softness characterized by the use of ribbon and lace, a time-worn look achieved by inking, pearls, glitter and other such embellishments. 
AND ...
By definition, Vintage Design Style = Soft, distressed elements, vintage images and found elements such as buttons, crochet trim, flowers made out of old dress patterns.

I used PLENTY of each on my sweet, shabby banner!  The chipboard frames are from Crafty Secrets too -- I first inked them with pink and then sponged over them lightly with twill paint to create a time-worn and shabby look!


The tiny pink floral cameo in the cent of the vintage cream lace trim is one that I handmade using Fimo Clay and some molds I got from Etsy a couple weeks ago!  I adore using paper doilies on my handmade from the heart treasures, so I was sure to add a few snipetts here and there on this banner ... they look so darling peeking out from behind the chipboard frames!


I don't consider a project done until it has some BLING ... so I loaded this pretty banner up with lots of beautiful paper flowers, rhinestones and pearls, trinket pins, buttons and twine, glitter and {LOVE}!


I used a combination of Oatmeal Cream and Pink Bubblegum Shabby Vintage Seam Binding that I hand tea-stained, from my Etsy Shop ... so delicious!!!  I strung each banner piece together with seam binding and then added an additional nosegay of seam binding bow on top to hide the knot!  A couple of loops at each end provide the perfect hangers for this little treasure!


So, did you count the number of Crafty Secrets goodies I added to this banner along the way? I have a fun little contest for you all and I hope you can join in on the fun!

GUESS THE NUMBER OF CRAFTY SECRETS GOODIES USED IN MY 'LOVE BANNER' TO WIN!  I've counted everything up and have the number written down!  You'll be surprised at how {many} Crafty Secrets items I've included on this project!  Count them up yourself to win!




Sandy has generously provided a couple of goodies for me to give out!  I'll pick two winners -- the ones that come {closet} to the amount of Crafty Secrets items I used in my banner design WITHOUT going OVER!  If we have a tie with more than two people guessing the correct number, then I'll use Mr. Random to pick the winners!

Prize #1 - CD - Creating with Vintage Patterns

Prize #2 - Mini Vintage Creative Scraps

WOWOWOWOW!!!   How to enter to win ... leave me a comment on this post with your 'guess' and contact info!!  Easy peesy, right??!!??  Don't forget to leave your contact info so I know where to find you!  I'll pick the winners on Friday the 22nd and announce right here, so keep popping back in to see if you've won!

Be sure to visit the other Crafty Secrets Design Team girlies' blogs for tons more inspiration using our new products this month:

 
 I hope my banner has inspired you to make a shabby little treasure of your own!   Give it a try and then come back here and leave me a link so I can see your work :)

Thanks for peeking in today ... have a wonderful stampy day!
Hugs!
xoxoxoxo

Challenges for this project:

The Kraft Journal - My Favorite Things (all stamping done on kraft cardstock)
The Pink Elephant #108 - inspiration photo
Simon Says Stamp - anything

44 comments:

**CrEaTiNgWiThAlOhA** said...

awesome banner...i heart all your details...I counted 16...TFS....viliann at hotmail dot com
liann

Vicki C said...

STUNNING!!! WOW!

Jan said...

How gorgeous is this? Amazing and love all the vintage goodness!

Tammy Roberts said...

You used those Crafty Secrets products well my dear!!! Such a sweet little banner!

vio~ said...

what??? that is amazing Deb!!!!!! ooh I am going to stay here all night and lookylook at it. you did a beautiful thing with this banner!

Charlene said...

Ooooh! Debbie you always amaze me! this is soooo cute!!! Love the patterns and all the vintage goodies!!! :-) I hope you have a wonderful week :-)

A Vintage Chic said...

Gorgeous banner, Debbie--love it!

Julie

Pam said...

Your banner is gorgeous! Love all the detail!

Kitika said...

A totally stunning banner. I love all the vintage treasures 
I counted 16. You really make unique and beautiful things.
http://kitikas.blogspot.com

busymartha said...

Your banner is absolutely stunning, I love all the soft colours you choose, Marilyn McIldoon

Mickie said...

I think 16 and you used them well to make this beautiful work of art.

Kathy in Idaho said...

This is so cute and I love how you've used the Cd.

Becky Dunham said...

Gorgeous banner - I am not really even a fan of banners but I LOVE this one - no pun intended - it is absolutely gorgeous! I think I counted 16 Crafty Secrets items. So many goodies on this banner - it was tricky to count them all :)

rebeccadunham at hotmail dot com

cbuswell said...

Stunning banner, you always do these so fabulously!! A real beauty!!

Southern Chic Vintage said...

This is the most beautiful banner ever. I counted thirteen products used. I could not find my glasses so I tried the best I could. I just enjoyed having my eyes so close to the project.

Kirsty said...

This is gorgeous!!! I couldn't even begin to count...I keep getting distracted by all the beautifulness!

gypsy rose said...

is 'a whole bunch' a number? made my head hurt counting so many pretty things.

wonderful banner.

waiting for the next mini quilt!

tatteredgypsyrose@gmail.com

Keilly said...

Absolutely gorgeous Debbie, I love this banner and all the little details. I counted 25 Crafty Secrets products. I really must visit their shop soon!

beadz said...

Debbie, your banner turned out gorgeous!
hugs,
Gini

Judy Cook said...

Oh I love these. I'm going to try and make some. BEAUTIFUL!

pattyo said...

You sure do know how to make a banner--gorgeous! I'll take a guess at 20.

Sandi said...

I adore banners and this one is outstanding! 16 products?

crafter1953 said...

I love the banner I think I will make one for my moms Birthday next month. I counted 15 I hope I am right would love to get the CD. Thank you for such a wonderful giveaway.

carpediem said...

14 is my guess! your project is wonderful! ljseki at hotmail dot com

Kelly said...

Oooooo.... I love this. I'd love to make one for my new Studio when I get it completed.

Kelly said...

Hmmm I didn't see my comment come up. I love this project. I counted 16. This would be perfect for my studio when I get it completed. :-)

rush said...

16 is my guess also...that is if the background papers are counted separately rather than as the cd. love your banner, too. i have made tiny ones, and i should make a big one! rush88888 at gmail dot com thank you for sharing yours.

Linda Duke said...

Debbie this is beautiful!!

Lorraine A said...

Oh my goodness ,, this is absolutely fantastic !! I LOVE this :-) beautiful work ,, AWESOME !! :-)

I would guess at 35 items used :-)


thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge :-)
luv
Lols x x x

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Truly a bit of your Shabby Goodness. Thanks for the step by step and sharing all the bits and bobs.. Your color combo is fantastic.

Unknown said...

Very pretty banner. I counted 17 items not including the four different backgrounds for each letter. So I am going to say a total of 21.

Thank you for the fun little game. It helped me see all the detail you put into making this banner.

Pambi7 said...

Very beautiful banner.
I counted 17 items not including the four backgrounds used for each letter. So, I have a total of 21. I hope I am right.

Thank you for the fun way to see all the detail in your work.

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Gorgeous! Love everything you have done in building this banner. Must get the CD for the PP. I counted 17 items. Wasn't sure if we were to count the individual mini scrap images or not. But thanks for the chance to win the CD!

Tracy said...

Wow! You really packed the goodies on this cutie. It's gorgeous and we're glad you shared it with us this week at The Kraft Journal!

NWFlamingo said...

Oooo ... Ahhhh... So pretty. My semi-educated guess is 17.

Cindy Bowers said...

My "newbie" guess is 16. What a fun contest--it's like playing a hidden object game.

*Fauve* said...

super cute project,i love banners!

mary elizondo said...

I just love the banner. Any one of my Grand daughters would love to have one like it to hang in their rooms. I counted and my guess is...22. Geez i hope i win the CD. Thank you so much for your inspiration. I love Crafty Secrets.

Works From The Attic by Linda said...

I just love these! I counted 20. I hope I'm right!
Linda Marino

Mrs Frizz said...

Have to say that this is a totally gorgeous banner ... so much to look at, so many details ... fab-u-lous ... and so very pretty.

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow! What a stunning banner, Debbie! So soft and romantic and full of lovely detail. LOVE!
Thanks for sharing this with us at The Kraft Journal. :)

Sheri (a.k.a PaperCrafty) said...

WOW...what a stunning banner, Debbie!! I love all the fabulous detail and your take on this weeks inspiration photo. Thank you so much for playing along with us at The Pink Elephant!!

Linda Beeson said...

What a truly amazing project! Vintage EVERYWHERE!

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning project!!! I am with the majority, 16 is my guess also. Fingers crossed, I just love this stuff!!!