Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Summer 'Art Quilt' Project ...

Hi friends!  I have a bit of FUN news to share with you all!  I was hopping around my {favorite} blogs yesterday and happened upon Miss Melissa's oh-so-shabby and sweet little place!  There she announced that she was going to partner up with her blog buddy, Mish, this summer and the two of them were going to create 'art quilts'!

I was instantly smitten with this idea as soon as I saw the inspiration picture from Tara Anderson's completed quilt!


Now, those of you who don't know me that well don't know that before I was bitten by the paper crafting bug about six years ago, I owned my own sewing business where I made quilts and American Girl doll clothes!  I love to quilt, but just don't seem to have the time it takes to devote to that craft any more.  Paper crafting is much like quilting ... just a smaller canvas and quicker turn around time to complete a project!

So, I gave it a bit of thought about who I could ask to buddy up with me and only one name popped into my head ... my shabby, bloggity buddy and fellow Crafty Secrets Design Teamie, Tammy Roberts!  I simply adore Tammy's shabby and vintage design style and was first introduced to her lovely work a while back when she began participating weekly in the Tea Room challenges!

So, I contacted Tammy to see what she thought of the idea ... and, she had already visited both Melissa and Mish's blogs, loved the idea and agreed to partner with me this summer to make our art quilts together!

WOWOWOWOW!  This is going to be so much fun!  I proceeded to head out on a shopping excursion today seeking any kind of bit and bob treasures that would be suitable for Tammy's art quilt.  We are putting together little packages for each other like Melissa and Mish did and sending them off to each other.  After we each receive our goodie boxes, the business of designing our quilt blocks can begin!

For my quilt design, I plan on making mine really 3-D with lots of treasures, chipboard, flowers, buttons, pins ... and whatever else I find that makes me smile!  Mine will be more 'artsy' and less 'quilty' ... but that's the beauty of creating -- I'm going to live in the moment and add whatever makes me happy in my little creative world!!

Without spoiling Tammy's surprise, here is a little tiny peek at what I will be putting in the mail tomorrow ...


... I packaged up all the little trims and treasures in glassine bags, topped with paper doilies and vintage tickets!  I wanted Tammy to the first to see the goodies, but couldn't wait to share this fun news with you all here on the ol' bloggity blog!!  Some of these goodies are vintage finds from my antiquing trips, some of these goodies are new bits found here and there.  The fabric is from my stash -- left over from those old sewing days!  Tammy's quilt will be in the hues of seafoam green, pink and cream.  My quilt will be in the hues of baby pink, buttercream yellow, corn flower blue and apple green - yum!
Stay tuned right here over the course of June, July and August.  I hope to be able to complete one block each week that I can share with you and then, fingers crossed, hope to complete the quilt with it's backing and bindings in September sometime.

Maybe you'll be inspired to grab a buddy and create one of your own ... or maybe a quilt is a bit too much work for now -- create one block, frame it and hang it on the wall in your crafty space!!

I hope you're inspired by the art quilt blocks I'll be sharing here this summer.

As always, thanks for peeking and have a wonderful stampy day :)

Hugs!
xoxoxoxoxo

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Yeah for you - getting back into quilting! :) Can't wait to see what you create!!

pattyo said...

I saw this on Melissa's blog. I can't wait to see what you girls come up with. I think it may just inspire me to dust off my sewing machine and give it a go myself!

Melissa said...

So happy you're joining in Debbie. Your goodies look so irresistible. Can't wait to see what you both dream up.
Melis