Thursday, August 5, 2010

Summer time blooms ...

Oh, the sweet smell of summer ... one of my favorite things to do during the warm, sunny months is gardening!  I love flowers and flowering shrubs and trees -- some of my favorites:  hydrangias, crepe myrtles, roses, peonies, pansies, day lilies, mums.  I just wish I lived somewhere in the US where I could have outdoor flowers all year long ... but in NC our season is April through October.  My BIL lives in Florida and he has pointsettias planted outside that bloom all year round - very cool!


I apologize for the lack of brightness on this card ... we're having a wicked thunderstorm right now -- it's only 7 pm, but it's black as night out.  I did photoshop this, but it's still a bit dark.  I may retake in the morning.

This was a fun little 'challenge' for me on this design.  I based this card off of a few current challenges - but in particular the Flourishes Timeless Tuesday Challenge - let the stamping speak for itself and don't use embellishments of any kind.  Oh, the horror!!!  I really had to hold myself back on this ... the edge of the Crafty Secrets vintage image cried out for a snipet of lace ... the flourishes on the sweet little birdie begged me for glitter ... each end of the sentiment on the modern label pleaded for pearls!!!  Alas, this challenge forced me to get creative with my ink and stamps and I really like the way it turned out!

The DSP background was created using two Flourishes sets - 'Lace Edges' and 'Let Them Eat Cake'!  The flourish image is actually the top of a cake stand stamp!  I stamped the sentiment with one of my favorite 'go to' sets from SU! - 'Bella's Bloom'.  The antique iron gate stamp is something from my stash from one of the local craft stores many moons ago.  I hope you've enjoyed peeking at my summer garden creation!

Challenges for this card:

Flourishes Timesless Tuesday Challenges #78  - limited supplies
2 Sketches 4 You #58 - sketch
Stampin' Royalty #31 - create your own DSP
Color Throwdown #104 - tangerine, daffodil, olive
Create for Cards - summer
Flourishes 'Bringing Back Beautiful' Challenge - beauty with color
The Play Date Cafe #41 - color inspiration
Embellish Magazine - green, brown, pink & birds (there are flecks of pink in the middle of the purple flowers!)

12 comments:

Angela McKay, Stampin' Up Demonstrator, #1 Rising Star Canada 2008/2009 said...

Great job... what a beautiful color combo ! Thanks for playing with us at Stampin' Royalty this week!

Shanda Stirk said...

Pretty card - and nice design! Thanks for joining us again at SR!

Susan (peebsmama) said...

I like the bird combined with the flower seed packet.

Chris said...

Thanks for playing along with the Embellish Challenge - I'm very excited to be their sponsor this week and if you have time, I have one more prize on my personal blog.

I love how you combined those two stamp sets for that finished look!

Broni said...

Love how you used the colors for the bird!! Thanks so much for playing along in the Color Throwdown!

Terry said...

Very pretty card! Love your color choices.

Kathy said...

Wow love your card!

Paul said...

Beautiful card, love all the flourishes. And i'm amazed at your creativity, to be able to produce something which can be entered into a multitude of challenges. i'm lucky if I produce something for one haha. Px

Silke Ledlow said...

Beautiful card Debbie!!! The different images & punch really work wonderful together!!! Thank you for playing the FTTC with us :)!!! HUgs ~S~

Suzanne C said...

Lovely card. No embellies... Hmmm that would be a problem for me. :) Thanks for playing along with us at the PDCC.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

This is a fun card--love the flowers and bird...beautiful:) Thanks for playing along and joining in the fun at the PDDC:}

Mariana Grigsby said...

Ooohh... this card is so beautiful! Thanks for playing along with us!