Saturday, July 10, 2010

JUGS #41 - Technique Challenge!

I'm back again and have another little lovely to share with you as part of my month of Guest Designing with the JUGS girlies :)

A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Kathryn from the JUGS Design Team :)

Andrea is our host this week and she has challenged us to create a card or project using the 'Ink, Spray, Smash' technique!  I learned this technique a couple of years ago at a stamp club with my girlfriends -- our good friend, Cathy, gave us all a tutorial.

There is a tutorial on Split Coast that you can follow for the steps, but I didn't use this water technique.  I made my paper using alcohol and re-inkers on glossy white cardstock.  Basically the same technique -- just a different way of getting there!

My favorite flower is the hydrangia and I have about 20 bushes planted in my yard that I treasure each summer ... they are just so pretty with their large blooms of bright pinks, lavendars, purples and blues!  I knew I wanted to make a card using SU!'s new 'Beause I Care' set, so I set to work and pulled out my Pretty in Pink, Certainly Celery and Baja Breeze re-inkers.  I added drops to my glossy paper, spread them around with a cotton ball dripping with alcohol until I got the desired effect on my paper.  I wanted a very soft, subdued, pastel color and I think I achieved it.  It's very hard to see in the photo, but it's stunning IRL!

I also knew I wanted to use a snippet of SU!'s new Newsprint sheet music DSP, so I embossed the glossy paper when dry with a sheet music embossing folder.  So cute!  Then I just kept adding layers of punched cardstock, paper doilie, nestabilities punches, pretty stamped hydrangia, pink satin ribbon and tulle, glitter and finished it off with a Jenni Bowlin pink butterfly with rhinestones -- the butterfly is made from sheet music too!

And here is my end result ...


What do you think?  Now your turn, hop on over to the JUGS site to be inspired by all the design team gals' work this week and then give this fun technique challenge a try!  I can't wait to see what you create :)

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Ohhhh so pretty Debbie!! Loving this soft color palette and that gorgeous hydrangea!! Sheet music, a butterfly and lovely ribbon! Total perfection!! Mmmmm

Andrea M said...

Debbie this is so soft and pretty! Love your inky, pastel background! Gorgeous inspiration!

Stampin' Pam said...

Absolutely gorgeous Debbie - Love the soft effect with your lovely color pallet. FUN FUN ribbon/bow treatment - a just delightful card. Thanks for all your efforts as our Featured Designer this month!

pattyo said...

Wow, Debbie! This card is breathtaking! Will you be selling this in your etsy shop? If so, I definitely want one!

Kathryn B said...

Wow! This is so pretty Debbie all your layering came together perfectly! I love the new SU sheet music you used along with the tulle! Beautiful job with the technique challenge!

Thanks so much for the warm Birthday wishes! ;0)

Maria Levine said...

Fabulous job! Love that flower!